Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Parental Limits

From time to time, I will be inviting others to write Guest Columns on this site. Here is from the first Guest Writer, my father:

This is what happened just now:
Paaduka: Appa, what is the tamil word for Purple?
Appa: Hmm.. I do not know. Did you ask Amma?
Paaduka: Yes, she did not say anything.
Appa: OK, Wait.. (nibbling on the computer)
Paaduka muttering:
Appa, ammakku theriyalainaa Google-la paarkkaNam illai?
(If dad or mom do not know something, we have to ask Google, right?) 

I think I was 8 or 9 before I realized my parents were not all-knowing geniuses.
My daughter is 4 right now. By the time my daughter is 8, she will probably say "Even if my parents say something, it may be better to check with the computer" :)
PS: The thamizh word for purple is ஊதா

No comments: